Friday, May 17, 2013

Beauty Tip | Make Up for Beginners - 9 Essential Items

So, I am not only obsessed with food, but with make up as well. I love experimenting with new looks, brands, tools, and techniques. I keep up, religiously, with my favorite beauty gurus on YouTube (I actually went to IMATS this past April JUST to meet some of them... go ahead and judge me). Anyway, since I only became REALLY interested in make up as of two summers ago, and so this obsession is relatively new to me, I know how difficult it is to try and figure out where to start. That's why I decided to make this post about 9 products that I personally think are essential to start off any beauty collection.

Keep this in mind throughout this post: if you are just starting out your beauty collection, don't start off with all high-end brands. There are some REALLY great drugstore items that can serve as dupes for their high-end equivalents. Just because something I photographed might be considered high-end, doesn't mean that's the EXACT brand I think you need to start off your collection... I need to save up money just as much as the next girl, and I appreciate a great cheap product wherever I can find one. Read reviews, watch tutorials, and go out to your local Target, CVS, Walgreens, or wherever, and experiment!

Numbers 1-3: Liquid Foundation, Concealer, Setting Powder
 
I personally think liquid foundation provides the most coverage. I'm currently using Revlon's Photo Ready liquid foundation and I'm in the color 005 or Natural Beige. This foundation gives really great coverage and doesn't leave my face feeling dry or looking pasty. It also has SPF 20 in it so that's a nice bonus. Revlon doesn't test on animals and you can get any of their products in any drugstore.

Concealer is pretty important... especially if you're a night owl like me with dark circles under your eyes that you want to conceal or if you get random breakouts during that oh so special time of the month. My favorite concealer is the Make Up Forever Professionals: 5 Camouflage Cream Palette. I love this one because it has a variety of shades to accommodate any type of coverage I may need and any variations of color my skin may go through (being tanner in the summer, for example). It also has a green concealer which cancels out redness on your face which is a LIFESAVER in the winter when I'm constantly sniffly and my face is dry and red and disgusting. Make Up Forever doesn't test on animals and can be purchased at Sephora and (I think) Ulta, too.

A setting powder isn't always necessary. I always use it just because I don't want my face to have a dewy finish at all. I use Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder and it's just amazing. It keeps my make up in place all day and leaves my face with a matte finish - just like the name promises. Rimmel London is another drug store brand that doesn't test on animals.

*Optional - During the summer months or on days where I don't feel I need as much coverage, I use a BB cream. The one I currently have I purchased without knowing that the brand actually tests on animals, so I don't want to recommend it because I will not be repurchasing it when this bottle runs out.

**Optional - Face Primer - This is actually pretty important if you go to a lot of events where you won't be getting a chance to touch up your make up at all and want it to stay put all day. Just like with my favorite BB Cream, my favorite face primer brand actually tests on animals. A sales associate at Sephora actually told me the brand didn't, so I trusted her and bought it. When I went  and did my own research recently, I found out that they actually do test on animals, so I won't be repurchasing that one. There are TONS of great ones that don't test on animals, though. Just do some research and test them out. Face primers can often double as eye primers, also.

Numbers 4-6: Eye Shadow, Mascara, Eye Liner


For eye shadow, start off with neutral colors. I have the Naked Palette by Urban Decay, who doesn't test on animals, and use it in every eye look that I do. There are some great palettes from the drug store that are quite pigmented and not chalky at all. Wet n Wild, surprisingly, has great products and I trust anything by Revlon.

Mascara - I almost always buy drugstore mascara. Revlon has GREAT ones. I know Maybeline is like known for their mascaras, but they unfortunately test on animals and their reason for why is like really, really, stupid. I picked up a sample of Benefit's They're Real! Mascara during a trip to Sephora and fell in love with it. I then received it as part of the gift that they give you on your birthday and have been using that as my main mascara. I don't think I can justify buying the full-sized one, so I'll be going back to drugstore mascaras once this one dries out.

I don't use eyeliner everyday, but when I do use it, I use a gel liner with a thin brush applicator. E.l.f is my favorite because it's cheap and gets the job done. E.l.f also doesn't test on animals. It's only sold in Target, I think. As for pencil liners, I really only trust Revlon or Urban Decay to not smudge all over my face. 

Numbers 7 and 8: Blush and Highlighters


E.l.f blushes have the pigmentation and overall quality that NARS does... but they cost an eighth of the cost. So which ones will I buy for the rest of my life? E.l.f. They do have a limited color selection, but I'm still building my collection. I'll test out other blushes as I go along but E.l.f will always be number one to me.

As the second part of my Sephora birthday gift of this year, I received the What's Up Face Highligher by Benefit. I will DEFINITELY be buying this in full size when I'm done with this sample. It adds just the right amount of shine wherever you apply it and it doesn't leave you looking TOO shiny or oily or dewy. It's perfect.

Number 9: Lipstick


I'm a firm believer in every girl needing a good red lip every once in a while. Revlon lip products do the trick. For a beginner I definitely suggest their Lip Butters because the color is buildable. It can either be very sheer, or you can build it up to be very opaque and bold. They also have SO many colors to suit many different tastes. Try them all!

I hope this post helped you with choosing some starters for your make up collection. Again, these are all my own opinions, so these may not suit your specific needs, but I do think at least some of these can apply to the majority of make up collectors out there. Have fun!

No comments :

Post a Comment