Thursday, June 5, 2014

Recipe | All Purpose, Everyday Seasoning Blend


So, if you've noticed in my past recipes... I use a lot of the same spices as sort of a "base blend" and work other flavor components into that specific mix. 

Last week, my lazy self came up with a groundbreaking idea - mix those spices together so that I'm only reaching for one jar while cooking instead of 5 different ones! The ultimate lazy cook's dream. I stayed away from spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric, because I don't think those flavors are necessarily appropriate in EVERY dish that I cook. Again, I wanted to make something that I could use in almost every recipe as the foundation of flavor, and then build up from that.

So, for the mixture, just combine the following in a mason jar or an empty spice container. If you plan on making a larger quantity, just follow the basic ratio of the 5 parts.

4 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes

Enjoy!

1 comment :