Saturday, August 30, 2014

Beauty Favorites | August Edition

I'm BACK! After a very long, unexpected, and unannounced hiatus happened on this blog... sorry about that (I know, it happens a lot. I have trouble staying committed to things, I'm working on it). But that's in the PAST now, and we're going to just go ahead and put those 2 (almost 3) blog post-less months behind us and start FRESH.

Today I bring you a new type of post that I've been wanting to do for a while after watching countless videos about it on youtube - monthly favorites! Now before you start thinking to yourself, "Sam, you've created themed posts in the past and literally NONE of them lasted. Why should we believe you're going to keep this one going strong?" Well... good point. You shouldn't believe that I will definitely have a favorites blog post every month. However, you should believe that I will TRY MY HARDEST, so long that I have enough products/things that I've been loving for the month. Just give me a chance, alright? Alright.

This post will focus on a few beauty products I've been loving during the entire month of August. 


1. Trader Joe's: 100% Pure Jojoba Oil


First up, a skin care product that has completely changed my view on skin care in general. For so long I have fallen into the abyss of buying bottle after bottle of eye make up remover and pack after pack of make up remover wipes. This resulted in an unnecessarily long skin care process every night, and stripping my skin from scrubbing it with those wipes, and still being left with a gross residue that needed to be washed off regardless. 

I read about how hydrating and nourishing jojoba oil is for not only your skin, but your scalp and hair as well, and even all over your body. I was honestly skeptical about it's ability to break down my make up enough to just be wiped away by a damp cloth, so I would use this in conjunction with my eye make up remover just to ensure that everything was being taken off before washing my face. Fed up with the extra steps involved, I decided to use the jojoba oil to take EVERYTHING off one night, and it did just that. It literally melts your make up off of your face, and then you come in with some warm water on a wash cloth and wipe it all away. It leaves your skin feeling soft, clean, and not at all sticky or gross. Follow it up with a face wash (on days where I don't wear much or any make up, I just use this and go straight to a moisturizer and I'm good to go.)

It's about $8 at Trader Joe's and it lasts a while as you don't need much to take off a full face of make up.

2. First Aid Beauty: Face Cleanser


I've been wanting to try out First Aid Beauty for a while, but it's kind of pricey to just "try out", you know? So I was browsing in Sephora one day when I found a trial package of their Face Cleanser, Ultra Repair Cream, and Facial Radiance Pads. While I'm not completely sold on the Facial Radiance Pads, the cleanser and moisturizer are AMAZING. 

The Face Cleanser is everything I want in a cleanser, simple, gentle, and not stripping at all. I've been using this either after taking off my make up with the jojoba oil or to wash my face in the morning/in the shower and my face is left squeaky clean without feeling tight and dry. Awesome cleanser for sensitive skin that does its job. 

3. First Aid Beauty: Ultra Repair Cream


If you've been reading my blog for a while (thank you!), then you know that my biggest problem areas for dry skin are my face and scalp. This product had 100% solved my dry skin problem on my face. It's a very heavy and rich moisturizer, so I recommend using it at night so it had time to soak into your skin and not be oily underneath your make up. If you do this, you'll wake up in the morning feeling absolutely no need to apply any other type of moisturizer to your face. THAT'S how awesome this stuff is.

Like the jojoba oil, a little bit goes a long way, so even this trial size, I find, is lasting me quite some time. I will absolutely be buying the full size tub once I use this tube up.

The trial package of the cleanser, wipes, and moisturizer was $28 as Sephora. 

4. NYX: Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation


I was in dire need of a cheap, but good quality, liquid foundation. My go-to E.L.F foundation was just not cutting it anymore, so I looked to a different brand to try out. NYX blew me away.

I was weary about this foundation at first, as I hadn't read any reviews on it in the past, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. It's awesome to say the least. NYX has a great shade selection, and the product blends flawlessly into your skin. I'll have a full review on this product soon; that's how much I love it!

$7.49 at Ulta. How could you possibly beat that?! Plus, it's not considered a "prestigious" brand at Ulta, so you know those little coupons that you get that usually don't apply to many brands there? Yeah... they apply to NYX products. 

5. NYX: Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation


To go along with my liquid foundation, I needed a setting powder. Now, this IS a "powder foundation", but it honestly doesn't provide that much coverage, so I just use it as a setting powder for my liquid foundation. It sets my foundation, and also gives just a touch more coverage for a really natural looking base for your make up look.

$9.99 at Ulta

6. NYX: Butter Lipsticks



As for these NYX products, I've heard lots and lots of positive feedback. Naturally, I needed to see what the hype was about. After finding out that Revlon was no longer cruelty free, and therefore I wouldn't by buying their lip butters, I was so excited to find out that there was a similar, slightly cheaper, and cruelty free product on the market.

Again, I plan to have a full product review for these bad boys on the blog soon, but just to sum it up: they're extremely pigmented, moisturizing, and they LAST. They also don't settle into the cracks of your lips if you seem to have that problem with other lip products.

Colors shown:
Big Cherry - it's really a true, very flattering deep red color
Fizzies - a muted berry color that can go with virtually any make up look
Fireball - a coral that's more on the pink side with just a hint of orange

Sold at Ulta and certain Targets and even Wegmans! $5.99 at Target and I think the same goes for Ulta and Wegmans.

7. Bath and Body Works: Blackberry Bramble Tea Candle


Okay, a candle? In a beauty favorites post? What's wrong with you, Sam? I know, it's weird, but I just think it fits. Candles are like beauty products for your home, right? And this one smells so amazing that I just needed to include it. It's sweet, but not too sweet, a little florally, with a very slight musky/spicy scent underneath it all. It's a perfect summer to fall transition candle and I encourage ALL OF YOU to go out and buy it right now!

$22.50 at Bath and Body Works, but I got mine during their 2 for $22 deal. 

No comments :

Post a Comment